Despite how it may appear, we do work with Windows, too. For now this is just a collection of links that I find handy. It may expand later, it may not.
|Table of contents|
- IIS Diagnostics Toolkit (x86) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9BFA49BC-376B-4A54-95AA-73C9156706E7&displaylang=en) There are many references to "debugdiag" for tracking down problems with IIS apps, but there are also a lot of rants about how it can't be downloaded and is still in beta. As of 2006-01-14, this appears to no longer be the case, and it is available as a normal download
- Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 Resource Kit Tools (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=56FC92EE-A71A-4C73-B628-ADE629C89499&displaylang=en)
- Web Application Stress Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E2C0585A-062A-439E-A67D-75A89AA36495&displaylang=en)
- Group Policy Management Console with Service Pack 1 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a6d4c24-8cbd-4b35-9272-dd3cbfc81887&DisplayLang=en)
- Windows Server 2003 Tools (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/downloads/winsrvr/tools/default.mspx)
- Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en)
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration Tools Pack (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E487F885-F0C7-436A-A392-25793A25BAD7&displaylang=en)
- ntfsclone (http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsclone)
- Moving an Entire Installation (http://winhlp.com/WxMove.htm)
- Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/)
- Sysinternals (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx) - originally freeware utilities such as psexec, regmon, process explorer. "Microsoft acquired Sysinternals in July, 2006" and I'm not sure of the current license of the utilities.
- TeraByte's Free utilities (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html) - tools such as "Drop to dos"
- GNU utilities for Win32 (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/)
- Blat (http://www.blat.net/) is a Win32 command line utility that sends eMail using SMTP or post to usenet using NNTP.
- TinyApps.Org (http://tinyapps.org/) "a guide to very small software for your PC"
- List of Marcin Policht/Database Journal Articles (http://www.databasejournal.com/article.php/1503191)
- SQL Server and MSDE Web Interface (http://www.aspenterprisemanager.com/)
- SQL Server 2000 Backup and Restore (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/sqlbackuprest.mspx)
- SQL Server 7.0, 2000, 2005 Clustering Resources (http://www.sql-server-performance.com/clustering_resources.asp)
- SQLServerCentral.com (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/default.asp)
- HOWTO: Understand and Diagnose an Application Pool Crash (http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2005/08/29/HOWTO_Understand_and_Diagnose_an_AppPool_Crash.aspx) After one too many times of being sent knowledge-base articles with unhelpful snide comments attached, I considered making this part of my signature...
- Anti-virus, anti-trojan
- AutoPatcher (http://www.neowin.net/)
- TinyApps.Org (http://www.tinyapps.org/) - "a guide to very small software for your PC"
- WindowsNetworking.com (http://www.windowsnetworking.com/)
- Windows 2000 Services (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/prodspecs/win2ksvc.mspx) This reference article summarizes all of the approximately 100 services in the Windows� 2000 Server family of operating systems, presenting them in alphabetical order. It provides general information on how each service is related to functioning of the operating system, and describes the major effects of disabling each service.
- Microsoft Office Converters and Viewers (http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp)
- Excel Viewer 2003 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C8378BF4-996C-4569-B547-75EDBD03AAF0&displaylang=en)
- PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en)
- Word Viewer 2003 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en)
- Process Library (http://www.processlibrary.com/)
- XP Lite (http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html) - make a modular Windows
- Remote Desktop Clients
- Windows Clients (from Microsoft) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80111f21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en)
- Remote Desktop Web Connection (http://www.petri.co.il/install_remote_desktp_web_connection_on_windows_server_2003.htm)
- Macintosh Client (from Microsoft) (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/rdc_update_103.xml&secid=80&ssid=10&flgnosysreq=True)
- Linux (http://www.rdesktop.org/)
- remotely enable Remote Desktop on Windows Server 2003 (http://www.petri.co.il/remotely_enable_remote_desktop_on_windows_server_2003.htm)
- How to install VNC version 3.3.7 on a remote PC (http://www.tburke.net/info/misc/vnc_remote.htm) - I would recommend using the version he specificies (3.3.7)
- Event ID 52 When You Start Terminal Services (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258021/EN-US/)
- Hardening Windows 2003 Server (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsserver2003/w2003hg/sgch00.mspx)
Concepts in ssl and iis:
"mostly, what was left was to turn "encrypted connection" (or whatever) on in the sql server net management tool thingy. i guess once you've got ssl going, part of it tries to connect using that, but part of it doesn't seem to get it."